Tuesday, September 22, 2009

digital exploration with other people

My mom:

"Things are changing to fast. It was not long ago that we didnt need any of the technology today and it has become such a huge part of our life. Some things are nice to have like ipods but even then a new one comes out every minute and everyone needs to have the newest one. There is always something to add to the technology now to make it better. The parts of my life that are not digital are when I work in the garden and am digging in the ground and teaching children about the environment. I think that when I had my office job I used technology more. But I think that my personal time has gotten more involved with technology, before it was just work."
"Which do you think is better, working and using technology to make a living, where it is more acceptable or using technology to occupy yourself when you have nothing to do?" "I think that I use it more in personal life because I do not have a job. So I have to use those things in my personal time. Becomes one of those things that are a necessity. Technology is good and useful but you do not need to go out every time there is an update to it.

Strangers:

During class we ventured out into the street to ask strangers what they thought about the digital world. The first guy who we talked to was walking his dog and listening to his ipod. When asked how many hours he spends listening to his ipod, he replied "50% of time I'm listening to music, I match my mood to my music". Though he does not know if technology is a bad thing. But he does acknowledge that the world revolves around technology and that it is "beyond anyones control". Society today makes it hard for someone not to live with out a piece of technology. The rest of the people interviewed gave the same responses that had little thought put into their answers. Technology is a good thing and for the better part of their day they are on their phones and computers. When asked most said they could go a day without technology but I bet have not even tried. Its easy to say that they will do something but not follow through with it. There was one women who we interviewed and she said that technology shows great improvement and there are a lot of positive effects. Though at the same time she was saying how it was bad for us. That "people have become too lazy" and everyone is "moving to technology", following the flow of teh digital world. She said that "she does not hate it but needs it". Most of the time peoples jobs bring technology into our lives. And people are unable to work with out it. She said she would limit her son from using to much technology "because he could be outside spending time doing other things, though he often sees me on the computer and wants to go on too".

Giovanna:

Gio like many other people believe that technology is a good thing and is helping the world. Technology helps with medical advancements. Like most people she uses technology for the better part of her day, texting, calling and IMing people. She also thinks that her use of technology all day is a good and bad thing. Though she does watch movies and TV with her family she goes out on walks on nice days. She argues that technology has led to obesity because instead of going out people want to stay in and play video but it also helps families come together to watch movies and stuff. This I can argue is a sort of fake togetherness. Even though they are enjoying an activity together the attention is not on each other but instead of the large screen that is in front of them.  When asked what she would do when she has a child, she said she would restrict his/ her child from using technology only when it involves school.

No comments:

Post a Comment