Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Home work 27

Street interviews:
Waiting for her friend, she leans against the mail box with impatient sighs. Wondering when he would get there. Coming up we asked if she would mind answering some questions while she waited. She said she did not mind and gave thoughtful answers. When asked what characteristics do people have if they are cool. She responded "people who go on a limb to help others out". She thought she was cool because she matched her earlier description, "I am cool because I volunteer, and don't ask for money back and I am passionate about public relations". She seemed very self confident in her description of her giving back to the community. She also brought up a perspective on the difference between males and females. She said "women would have the opinion that to give back to the community is good and that guy's would think that power and wealth is cool". Then as we were waiting around the bus stop to find people to talk to we saw a young guy walking by. Me and Rachel decided to go over and to try to ask questions. They guy said he was heading to class but that if we walked with him we could ask him questions. So walking along the street trying to keep up we hurry about asking questions and scribbling down the answers. When asked what his definition of cool was he said "it is a manufactured desire" I asked him to elaborate on his answer and he said it was "actually self explanatory" I left it at that. He also mentioned that we should read the book A noble writer sound of words by Wallace Stevens because it would give us some good pointers. After we concluded he continued his busy hustle towards his class.

Interview with my mom:

Do you think your cool? why or why not?
"I think I am very cool because I follow my own conscious and I think I am current with what is going on in the world, whether its political and cultural. I also have a open mind"

What do you think about cool in our society?
"I think cool is misunderstand. Cool from a society perspective is about thinking like everybody else and its not about individuality. I think its about being your self and havign the guts to be yourself"

What if the new definition of cool was to be yourself, would it be in a way another form of conforming?
"No, absolutely not. That would be a wonderful open society that embraces everyone"

What if it was someones nature to kill people?
"Well. That's not cool. That's destructive. That's hurting someone, against the law. Being cool is to not break the law."

Interviewed my friend Yan:

"I don't consider myself cool but I'm not sure what is my definition of cool is either."

Who would you say is cool?
" If I had to say who I think is cool it would be Obama. Some would say he is "too" cool. But Obama is one of those people who presents themselves with confidence and at times show very little emotions---for some reason this all gives off a "cool" on look."

No comments:

Post a Comment